It’s that time of year again, the time for resolutions to be made. Normally, at this time of year, I would set aside grand goals for me to fulfil before the year is out; however, this time I’m going to do something a little different. I have often found that it is quite difficult to keep to those grand, year-long goals, especially if they involve large life-style changes. A year is a long time for things to happen in, and plans can be derailed and surprises can happen so sticking resolutely to those first goals can be quite difficult.
I’ve decided to do something a little different this time around. I’m going to split the year into four and set myself four sets of resolutions at the beginning of each quarter. This will give me a chance to reflect on the last three months and set my new resolutions accordingly. My first set of resolutions have been divided into three categories of three.
- My first resolution is to send off the manuscript to my novel to at least one agent. I am nearly finished with the editing process, and still need to work on a query letter, but even though it is quite a large task, it should be achievable.
- Next up is to develop my social media presence. This will include both my blog and my YouTube account. For the first few months, my plan is to post more frequently and try a few new things with them.
- While the first two goals are more focused on specific areas, this final one is simply to get back into art. I did not do as much art as I wanted to last year and I have a number of projects I would like to try this year from sewing to painting to crafts.
- I have a lot of books which I own but have not yet read. So many that I have an entire bookcase dedicated to them. I would like to start using the bookcase for other things, such as having specific shelves for classics and writing books, but at the moment there are just a lot of unread books. By April, I would like to have read at least one shelf’s worth of books, if not two.
- I would like to read more variety in books in genres and diversity. Fortunately, I have quite a variety of genres on my to-read pile which is what I will be reading in the first three months, with at least three different genres a month. As I don’t really know much about the books on my that list, it’s hard to tell if they will help fulfil the diversity goal, but this is definitely something I will be looking at in later months.
- I am going to severely restrict my book-buying for the first three months. I do tend to buy books a lot so my plan is to put a stop to the compulsive book-buying that I do. While I’ve found complete bans difficult to uphold, I will restrict my buying to one or two books a month maximum.
- A bit of two in one here but: improve general health by eating healthier and doing more regular exercise. I’ll admit, I let myself slip a bit in 2016. But in 2017 I am going to try to make a difference. This will probably be the hardest goal to fulfil as it will involve the largest lifestyle change, but I will do my best. The exercise for the first three months will be gentle, mainly walking, yoga and tai chi to build myself up for later months. Eating healthier will mostly mean less snacking and more cooking.
- I’d like to start learning code. I haven’t decided which code yet, but SQL, R and Python are all contenders, as well as improving the HTML and VBA that I already know. Not only would these help with my job but they just seem really interesting and would be quite fun to be able to do.
- Get out the house more. While this seems to be quite an easy one, I do find myself spending a lot of time curled up in front of a movie or with a good book in the evenings. So, this month I’m going to try and get out a bit more, be it seeing friends, seeing shows/films or exploring the local culture (and the not-so-local ones as well) a bit more regularly.
Those are my resolutions for the first three months of 2017. While they may not seem that specific, I do have a vague plan on how to achieve them but want to be a bit more flexible in my approach. Here’s to achieving them this year and not continuing the bad habits of previous years!