Editing, I’ve found, is a complex process. Last week, I mentioned a system that I was going to use to edit the Unnaturals. Right now, that system has been altered somewhat. I have read through and highlighted half of the novel. I then went back over those highlighted points and altered them, edited them. I have now gone over six chapters making them a standard I am happy with. They are not perfect, nowhere near, but it is a nice feeling knowing that, despite still having so many more chapters to go through, some are at least presentable and for all intents and purposes ‘complete’.
With that in mind, I have decided to try get a second set of seven chapters finished before I go away – highlighting and going back over those highlights. That way, I think, when I return I will have a standard to get the rest of the story up to and proof that it can be done – some inspiration to keep going. I would really love to get this novel finished by the end of the year, I have been working on it for so long that it would just be a fantastic feeling (if an odd one) to know that I have actually finished it. At the moment though, I am proud with what I have done already.
I will let you know how it goes.